Product Code : PRODUCT5590
Pickup Service Available
The Dutch cheese production is nowadays in the hands of dairy factories, which produce and export their cheeses around the world in millions of tonnes every year. The cheese markets of Alkmaar remind us of the days of a flourishing trade and have become popular tourist attractions today. You’ll believe that you’ve stepped back in time when you visit the cheese market of Alkmaar. Without a doubt, the Alkmaar cheese market is the main attraction in town.
The tradition of this Cheese Market goes way back to 1365, as there was only one set of scales for weighing, cheese was traded on the Waagplein. The cheese was delivered early in the morning, and the cheese market masters and traders would check to see whether the cheeses had been well stacked. Up to 30,000 kilos, or 2200 whole kinds of cheese, are lined up and waiting for customers.
Before enjoying some free time to discover the cheese market and the city on your own, embark on a brief guided walking tour through Alkmaar by an informative, friendly and professional live guide. You should never pass up an opportunity to see this colourful, folkloric spectacle!
- Join a brief tour through the city by an informative, friendly and professional live guide
- Watch the men in traditional clothing trading their Cheeses
- Visit the famous Dutch Cheese Market
- Find out how cheese is traded according to a centuries old tradition
- Live commentary on board
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Food & Beverages
Know Before You Book
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions
- People with walking problems are not advised to take this tour
Know Before You Go
- Please wear comfortable shoes as moderate amount of walking is involved
- Please exchange your printed/digital voucher at the meeting point
No options available on this date.