Product Code : TCGRL05
Pickup Service Available
Operation Market Garden was one of the largest Allied operations of the Second World War. It aimed to secure the bridges over the rivers Maas, Waal, and Rhine in the Netherlands.
During this full-day excursion, you will go through the area where the Operation Market Garden took place and you will cover a part up and down Hell’s Highway. Once you are picked up at your local meeting point, it’s an 85-minute drive from Amsterdam to your first destination. Which will be the Castle of Heeswijk. Brabant’s most beautiful castle is almost a thousand years old. The rich history of this powerful monument can be experienced in and around the castle. Heeswijk Castle occupies a prominent position in the Aa valley near Den Bosch, at the stunning heart of the Heeswijk Estate.
After your visit to the Castle of Heeswijk, you will go through the area where the Operation Market Garden took place, and you will cover a part up and down Hell’s Highway. We’ll drive the road where the 101st Airborne Division had vanquished strategic bridges (bridges at Son, Best, Sint-Oedenrode, Eindhoven, Eerde, and Veghel). It was their objective to keep the roads between the bridges open. In this area, you will also pass by the windmill of Eerde. Did you know that this mill stood in heavy fighting raged area? The windmill and village changed hands at least 6 times and eventually got knocked out by artillery fire. It was destroyed on the 24th of September in 1944 during: ‘the battle of the sand dunes’). The next stop will be the restaurant the Boshuys where you will have lunch. You can decide whether or not you will like to visit the Wings of Liberation Museum
- Visit museums and learn about the World War II
- Drive pass the Hells Highway via Eerdse Windmill, Sint Oedenrode, Son and Best
- Explore the area of the Operation Market Garden
- Be amazed by the Castle of Heeswijk
- Learn about the Dutch liberation history
- Free WIFI aboard
- Museum Overloon entrance tickets
- Transport by a minivan
- The Wings of Liberation museum is optional
Know Before You Book
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
Know Before You Go
- Please exchange your printed/digital voucher at the meeting point
- Please wear comfortable shoes as moderate amount of walking is involved
Operation Market Garden & Hells Highway Small Group Tour
Duration : 09:00
Live Commentary Language
This option is non Cancellable.